Friday, February 1, 2013

Vegan PB+J Thumbprint Cookies


Another cold and blustery day outside, what else is new? After a quick step outside to run some errands, I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I got home - bake. Warm cookies do wonders to warm up your belly, and an oven turned on makes your apartment nice and toasty too - a great bonus. After reading one of my favourite blogs I was inspired to try out their PB+J Thumbprint cookies, but feeling a little crazy today I decided to experiment a bit. I followed this recipe and swapped a few ingredients just to see how things would turn out. Lucky for me they turned out great and now I've got a yummy batch of cookies ready to be eaten!

Ingredients

1/2 cup oat flour (I just ground up some oats in a food processor)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt 
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 banana, mashed
jam of your choice + a few chocolate chips


To start (after grinding up the oats) I mixed together the flour, sugar, salt and chopped pecans. Next I mixed in the peanut butter and banana until well combined. This took a little extra arm power to make sure it was all mixed, but if yours is too dry add in some more peanut butter, and a little more mashed banana (maybe not the whole other half though). Roll the dough into 12 balls and place on a cookie sheet. After lightly  pressing the tip of your thumb into each, top each cookie with either a little bit of jam or a few chocolate chips. Bake in the oven at 325 F for 10-12 minutes.

These bite sized cookies are a great "sweet tooth satisfier" without feeling too guilty. I love the hint of banana taste (though this could be replaced with an egg if you're not into banana) and the jam and chocolate treats on top make them extra special. They're perfect with a glass of milk or cup of tea and a warm blanket to cozy under!

No comments:

Post a Comment