Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What I'm Into: August 2014

This summer has been insanely good. I can't believe it's already September. After a summer working for LiNK and adventuring all over Los Angeles, August was well spent with a week in San Francisco, some time at the cottage, and lots of movie watching. After seeing the idea on my friend Christie's blog, here is what I've been into for the month of August.



Books I Read:

Blankets by Craig Thompson-  I think I must have already read it before but have no idea when. Anywho, it's a coming of age type story starting with two young brothers, following a romance, and exploring faith - and I liked it.

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick - After hearing this book mentioned time and time again at the LiNK office, I finally got around to reading it. It shares the stories of the lives of six North Koreans over fifteen years, each of them with very different experiences. A powerful book that gives great insight to life in North Korea.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway - This was my first read by Hemingway and I really enjoyed it. It's the story of an old man on a great fishing journey, as a he battles the environment around him. 

Movies I Watched:

Guardians of the Galaxy - I really love Chris Pratt. He's seriously the best. This move is action packed and full of space adventure and fun, with an awesome soundtrack. It's different than most other super hero movies I've seen - in a good way!

Chef - This movie follows a chef as he ventures out of the fancy restaurant kitchen and into a food truck. It shows you an honest glimpse into the life of a chef and makes you want every food from every city in America.

Obvious Child - I really enjoyed this movie! It's about a 26 year old aspiring stand up comic and follows her struggles with romance and life. It's a romantic comedy without perfect people and is just so pleasant to watch.

Boyhood - This was awesome. Filmed over the course of 12 years, it follows the story of a boy named Mason through ages 5 to 18. Boyhood is beautiful! Everyone grows up and the world changes right before your eyes. Loved it.

TV Shows I'm Into:

Breaking Bad - Way late on this one but I finally finished Breaking Bad! And I loved it. I am usually not one to follow serious type shows, but Breaking Bad really got to me. It's great writing, acting and way too much purple.

New Girl - After being compared to Jess Day so many times I decided to finally give New Girl a chance. It's fluffy enough that I don't feel like my brain is melting, but also funny enough that I don't feel embarrassed watching it (re: my old MTV reality habit). Also, Zooey Deschanel has perfect hair and clothes so there's that.

Music I Jammed To

Beyonce - I went to the On the Run Tour and whooey it was the best. Beyonce doesn't even seem like a real person. She was never out of breath, her hair was always wind blown, and she was always looking so fierce. Jay-Z also oozed with coolness every time he stepped on stage, and I couldn't help but obey when he told me to bounce. 

Fun Stuff I Did:

Wine Tasting at Castello di Amorosa - While in San Francisco, we hopped over to Napa Valley for a wine tour and it started at this awesome castle! It was a beautiful setting to pretend I knew things about wine, and the tasting was so much fun. I definitely recommend going - we also had the best, most hilarious tour guide, Victoria, so if you check it out request her!

Cottaging - Even though I'm missing the dry heat of California, nothing beats a weekend at the cottage. All summer long I've been dying to jump in the lake and finally the itch has been scratched! Reading, BBQ, relaxing by the water - all add up to some great weekends back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment