Monday, February 24, 2014

Almond Coconut Energy Bites


On some of my favourite food blogs, and all over my Pinterest feed, I keep seeing variations of these protein packed energy balls. They deceivingly look like they could be some sort of chocolate-coconut concoction but when I peek at the ingredients they're always filled with loads of ingredients that I definitely don't have in my cupboards (though a frequent whole foods shopper might). If you frequent any health food and vegan blogs you may have stumbled across ingredients such as maca powder, or carob powder and had the same thoughts as I did, what in the heck am I gonna do with those! Upon further reading they're supposed to have all sorts of benefits, but when 'creation mode' strikes I usually stick to what I already have on hand.

These energy bites are packed full of goodness with simple ingredients, a slight nuttiness, and a hint of sweetness. What started as following a recipe quickly became me dumping ingredients into the food processor until things seemed right. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

1/3 cup almond butter
12 pitted dates
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2-4 tablespoon maple syrup

In a food processor, combine the almond butter and dates until well blended. Add in the coconut, oats, flax, and chia seeds, and mix until it the mixture is similar to fine granules. Mix in the coconut oil and gradually add in the maple syrup until the mixture can hold itself in small balls. After everything is combined, roll the mixture into approximately 12 balls and roll into additional coconut (you could also leave them plain or roll them in sesame seeds or other nuts for something different!). Freeze until ready to eat! 

This recipe is great because you can adjust the ingredients to various nuts and seeds depending on what you have on hand or what your taste buds prefer. They're a great mid-afternoon pick me up without too much guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment