Sunday, October 13, 2013

Foolproof Pumpkin Pie


Well it's the end of Thanksgiving weekend here in the Great White North, which really only means one thing - pie! Though my weekend was spent with papers and books spread across the kitchen table in preparation for midterms this week, I am thankful that I was able to do said studying up at the cottage surrounding by trees, fresh air and my family.


I've never made pie from scratch before and this year I decided to give it a go rather than ordering from our usual bakery. Having glanced through this book so many times at my friend's house and at work, I decided to get myself a copy and put to test her foolproof pumpkin pie recipe. Ina was not kidding, it really was a simple recipe to follow and was a great addition to the end of our turkey dinner (though I ate fish). The book also includes a basic pie crust and rum whipped cream recipe, but I decided to use the crust recipe on the back of my Crisco tin instead. Here's the recipe for Ina Garten's foolproof pumpkin pie filling:


Ingredients


1 15oz can of pumpkin puree (appx. 2 cups)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons dark rum

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place your unbaked crust in the bottom of an 11-inch pie pan, and cover with parchment paper and dried beans (we actually used a bunch of muffin liners and river rocks, it worked okay?). Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, prick the bottom with a fork and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes, watch for browning.

Reduce the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the pumpkin puree, brown and white sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, eggs, cream milk and rum with a whisk. Pour the mixture into your pie dish and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a knife comes out clean. Allow it to cool completely and serve with fresh whipped cream.


We've been enjoying the taste of pumpkin all weekend! We had some leftover crust and filling so we also made some mini pumpkin tarts in a muffin tin as well - delish! I'd have this breakfast, lunch, dinner and every snack in between if I could, it's really that good. Enjoy with loved ones, a warm fire and a good movie - three things that will definitely ensure you have a happy thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment