Monday, June 24, 2013

White Chocolate Coconut Cookies


When I'm feeling frustrated I usually need to create something in order to settle my nerves. As strange as it may seem, having a kitchen fail one morning (let's just say not every recipe is a good one) led to a very big kitchen win with my favourite ingredient, coconut. I followed this recipe and tweaked it a little to better suit my liking. To quote my mother "This is the best cookie I've ever had. You need to make more. We're so making these at Christmas. You could sell these!" They're great people, really really great. I hope you like coconut because they're coming at you.

Ingredients

75 mL solid coconut oil
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut

2 tbsp coconut oil
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (toasted)

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cream together the coconut oil and the sugar. Beat in the egg and coconut extract. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix it into the oil mixture on medium speed. Gradually add in the sweetened coconut until it is well distributed. Place small drops of the batter onto a non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the bottoms are a light, golden brown. Allow them to cool

In the microwave melt together the coconut oil and chocolate chips. Lightly dip the tops of each cookie into the chocolate glaze and next into the toasted coconut and allow them to set.

After a delicious dinner we treated ourselves to a hot cup of tea and a couple cookies. I would suggest doubling this recipe because it doesn't make nearly as many as you'll want to be eating (about 16 cookies total).  They are light, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside and oh so coconutty - this cookie is a keeper.

Adapted from this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! These sounds AMAZING! May go nicely with a cup of Coconut Grove tea perhaps???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes they would! I may have to make a stop at David's ...

      Delete