Monday, March 25, 2013

Coconut Banana Bread

You would think that with the name of this blog featuring a well-loved baked good, I would have started with a post on making banana bread. During my last couple years of high school, I became known among my friends for my banana bread. It was the one recipe I had perfected and had even given as a gift on numerous occasions. Though I have shared that recipe with a few close friends, I am not ready to share it with the internet just yet, so instead I am turning to Ambitious Kitchen for a healthier banana bread option. Looking at my Pinterest boards, you'll notice that I have recently developed an obsession with all things coconut and this recipe for Coconut Banana Bread couldn't be more appealing!


Ingredients

1 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 ripe medium bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer on medium speed, combine the bananas, vanilla and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in the egg whites and olive oil. Gradually add in the flour mixture until it is well combined. On low speed, mix in the greek yogurt and orange juice - if the batter is too heavy, add a couple tablespoons of milk. Finally, fold in the 1/2 cup of coconut until it is evenly distributed. Pour the batter into a non-stick loaf pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

Great for breakfast or a snack, the hint of coconut and the classic banana flavour brings the tropics to your taste buds on these (still) chilly first days of spring!

Note: The whole wheat flour makes for a heavier bread, so if you prefer for something lighter you can use entirely white flour. Also, why not try mixing in some dark chocolate chips for something more decadent or your favourite nut for an added crunch!

3 comments:

  1. Wow this look amazing! Would never have thought of coconut, but looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love coconut and banana bread! the pairing seemed too good to be true

      Delete
  2. I just got back from Hawaii a couple days ago. So this is totally up my alley. I should make this -- so I can still feel like I'm on vacation. ;)

    ReplyDelete