Monday, June 23, 2014

Good Books: Bird Box

I've never read a horror book before. I love scary movies and haunted houses and all that jazz, but I have always figured that if the Hunger Games gave me nightmares, a horror novel definitely would too. That being said I really enjoyed completing the 9th book of my 25-book pledge, Bird Box by Josh Malerman. The back cover synopsis really leaves a lot to the imagination, and as someone who is afraid of birds, I really don't know why I grabbed this book when it's supposed to be suspenseful and has 'birds' right there in the title. Well I'm here to tell you I survived! Though birds did play a minor role in the novel, I am pleased to say I'm not having nightmares of my face being pecked off. Bird Box follows Malorie and her two children, as they struggle to survive in a world where unknown 'creatures' are driving people to deadly violence. Fear of the outdoors leaves them living in an abandoned house, windows covered and doors bolted, and blindfolded when so much of a crack of light is seeping in. Their journey of survival and escape to a seemingly better place will leave you turning pages on the edge of your seat until the very end. Definitely recommend this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment