Thursday, August 8, 2013

Week 6: What's in our Basket?

If you don't know what's going on with this basket stuff catch up here:
Week 1 / Week 2 / Week 3 / Week 4 / Week 5

With my family on vacation this week, I took advantage of the free kitchen and loaded up on my favourite foods by heading out to my local farmers market one morning to pick up a large supply of peaches and blueberries (two of my all time favourites). It's really easy for me to go a bit nuts at market stalls. I could easily walk out with way too much produce, just because "those tomatoes looked so pretty in the basket!" I tried to resist this time around knowing my share day was coming up and I'm glad I did, we got some real gems this week. The mini watermelon made me squeal with excitement, the basil made my nose happy and the plums got me brainstorming new dessert options! Here is what's in our basket:

Vegetable Half Share

1 bunch of basil, 3 yellow squash, 2 field cucumbers, 1 bunch of kale, 3 bulbs of garlic, 1 bag of salad mix, 1 large bunch of potatoes, 1 head of romaine, 1 pint of grape tomatoes, 1 bunch of green beans


  Fruit Share

8 plums, 1 cantaloupe, 1 pint of blueberries, 4 bartlett pears, 1 mini watermelon

Their Potential

If you've never grilled pineapple, do it, and make it into this great side dish.

Change up your taco tuesday and fajita fridays with this plum salsa.

This pasta pairs basil pesto and green beans for a fresher taste. 

I am firm believer that grilled food always tastes better, I'm sure this caesar salad is no exception.

Maybe this should have been a grill theme, this red potato salad is light and right up my alley.

This cake brings together a tried and true duo - blueberries and lemon.

Watermelon is one of my favourite summer foods, this soda float will definitely hit the spot. 

Plum halves make a delicious cake gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment