Friday, January 30, 2015

What I'm Into: January 2015

It's cold and it's awards season, so I've watched a lot of movies this month. I've watched so many movies it's ridiculous. I still have a couple of the best picture nominees left to see before the Oscars at the end of February - Birdman and American Sniper. I read a couple books too and both were amazing! Here's what I've been into in January:


Movies I've Seen

Foxcatcher - I enjoyed this movie for the most part, Steve Carrell was super creepy and completely transformed from his usual weird, funny self. The story was different from most sports related movies I was used to, which I appreciated, and kept my attention throughout the film.

Wild - Though I wasn't a fan of the book (I didn't even make it half way), this was a great movie. It offered adventure and self-discovery without being pretentious (re: Eat Pray Love).

If I Stay - This is quite possible one of the worst movies of all time. Obviously it was a teen drama romance thing but it was even more terrible than you're thinking. It's the worst. Don't see it.

St. Vincent - I really liked this movie! It wasn't anything amazing but it was a great feel-good movie with lots of interesting characters.

The Imitation Game - I saw this with the whole family one Sunday afternoon, and we all really enjoyed it. Not being a huge fan of Benedict Cumberbatch or Keira Knightley, I was pleasantly surprised by both of their performances. 

Whiplash - Most people I talk to seem to love this movie but as a past school band member (though obviously not even close to the same level of talent) this movie made me incredibly uncomfortable and brought back the few bad memories I have. I was so happy when the movie ended and I could finally breathe again.

Selma - So we all agree that this should be nominated for more Oscars right? Without a doubt, David Ovelowo deserves a best actor nomination for his role as Martin Luther King Jr. (or win if that were possible), and best director? Where is that nomination hmm? I don't want to say too much, but this is a powerful film. It's beautiful. You should go see it right now.

Books I've Read

Opposite of Loneliness - This was my first completed read of 2015! I wrote more about it in this blog post, but all you really need to know is that it's a beautiful collection of essays and short stories, written by a talented woman, and you should read it.

We Were Liars - This is one of the best teen fiction novels I've ever read. It's about a group of cousins who meet up at their family's summer home every year but then something happens, and it changes everything. It makes you curious, and is full of suspense as you move through the novel trying to piece together what this "something" is. 

More Fun Stuff

Frozen Fruit - I am a big fruit eater and that's why I don't like winter - my only options are apples and oranges! Everything else is out of season, only okay tasting or super expensive. I've had frozen fruit (mostly mango) in stock for a while and I mostly used it for smoothies but then! I had a revelation. What if I just ate the frozen fruit as is? What if I zapped it in the microwave for 30 seconds? Why didn't I think of this before! My fruit woes are over.

Audio Books - When I'm trying to be productive, it helps me if there's some sort of background noise. Usually I count on Netflix so I can listen to an entire series, for a while it was the Serial podcast, but now it's audiobooks. I'm currently listening to Amy Poehler's Yes Please on audio (even after having already read it) and it's wonderful. I'm a huge fan of this book and will probably be re-reading and listening to it forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment