Monday, April 28, 2014

Good Books: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend


I know. You don't have to tell me. I am falling way behind on my 25-book pledge. Maybe 'way behind' is a bit of an exaggeration but I am at least two books behind where I should be for the end of April. I've started quite a few books but I just couldn't get into them. I couldn't even get in so far that I was at the point of no return where you just keep reading because you have been reading. I was at the point of return. Book returned, Joanna left with no book. That being said I am so pleased to say that I recently finished such a fantastic read that it made the returns all worth it. Enter Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks. This is the story about Budo and his friend Max. Budo is Max's imaginary friend and helps him deal with his day to day life. Max's everyday life is a bit different than the average 8-year old since he is on the spectrum for Asperger's, but either way Budo is a good friend to have around. Budo is sent on a quest to help protect Max from one of his teacher's Mrs. Patterson, when she makes a rash decision, thinking she alone can take care of Max. With the help of other imaginary friends Budo must decide what is more important, Max's life or his own existence. 


I loved this book. It reminded me a lot of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and Room by Emma Donoghuebut is made completely unique with the perspective of the imaginary friend world. Go read it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment